dMZX Forums: The lack of optimism in the MZX community - dMZX Forums

Jump to content

If you are new to DMZX, please take the time to look over the FAQ pinned in General before asking a question.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The lack of optimism in the MZX community The reason for people's farewell?

#1 User is offline   Ryohei 

  • I love my graphire2..... T_T
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 466
  • Joined: 31-March 01

Posted 19 June 2001 - 05:56 AM

Has anyone noticed the lack of optimism in the MZX community? It's like everyone is looking forward to the end. Many expect their games to be never completed, especially after releasing a demo. Has anyone ever heard of the word "hope" and "optimism?" This is the reason why groups are falling apart, people are leaving, and games are never finished.

As a group, the leader should do what ever he or she can to prevent it from falling apart. If your group members are slackers, do something about it. Don't let it be the downfall of your group.

As a programmer, he or she should do what ever he or she can to keep his or her interest in MZX and his or her games. Try doing something else for a while. When you get back to working on your game, you should have a mind full of new ideas and the need to make up for all the time you were off. Also, NEVER EVER think your game will never be finished. Do you start a game just to keep yourself busy or is it suppose to be something that must be completed?

Yes, I'll probably get criticized for some of the stuff that I wrote, but people need to realize that there's too much pessimism around.

0

#2 User is offline   Gemini 

  • PixelShips Master
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 637
  • Joined: 21-November 00
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 19 June 2001 - 01:41 PM

It's not that, I just need to move on with my life :P

Besides, I'm probably one of the oldest people here. (18 1/2 years). So needless to say I've got lots of other stuff I need to be worrying about. You guys have school... in a few months I could be getting a job and in less than a year I may even be starting my own buisness if things turn out good. Not to mention the C++ and QBasic programming I do. MZX is just another piece of my Jenga tower that threatens to topple it. Needless to say the smaller the tower, the less likely it falls apart, right?

The other thing too is that MZX is limiting, and I've done almost all I've wanted to limit-wise. Now that I've got Windows programming ahead of me, among other things, I just want to move on.

And quite frankly, it's threads like THIS one which get people to leave in the first place because it depresses everyone :P You die now, Ryohei. *takes out a rocket launcher and blows his head off... only to watch it regrow and sprout little heads and turn into more of himself and chase Gemini all the way to the edge of the Earth only to push him off into oblivion never to be seen again by those he cared about who too wanted to anhiliate said champion of the universe who just fell into total darkness by the hand of Ryohei and his many heads propogated by this incredibly LONG run-on sentence that threatens to throw this entire thread off-topic!*

... *deep breath* ...

I love doing that ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
"Wonders how many people actually read his ENTIRE post about leaving... let alone this entire post :P"

0

#3 User is offline   Selan p 

  • Level up! Learns EXPLOSION RHOMBUS
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 914
  • Joined: 10-October 00
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Florida

Posted 19 June 2001 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, alot of people are being passimistic. But I'm sure that once we get a few new games out, that'll change. But then again, I might just be saying that because I'm super- optimistic. With me, I try to make sure I finish everything I start. If I spend more than two weeks on it, I try to get it done. Unfortunately, I work kinda slow.... but I'm gonna get some games out. If I don't, then I'd be very unhappy.
that's all I have to say.

-Selan_p

0

#4 User is offline   Exophase 

  • Laughing on the inside.
  • Group: DigiStaff
  • Posts: 7,155
  • Joined: 23-October 00
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cleveland, OH

Posted 19 June 2001 - 07:32 PM

18 1/2? I'm almost 18 and I've also graduated but I still have college to worry about, much like Akwende, inmate, Herc, SEGA, etc.. E_Megas is older than all of us :D

- Exo

0

#5 User is offline   Bocco 

  • Some guy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 514
  • Joined: 09-February 01
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 June 2001 - 02:59 AM

Speaking of age, someone should start a Junkyard topic to gather data on MZXers' age and report fancy stats like standard deviation and variance that I learned about in math class only earlier this year. I'm not starting it, though... I'm too lazy to finish my idea! Take that Ryohei! Umm... but, actually, I intend to finish all three chapters of Bocco Chronicles.
Also, Gemini, aren't you going to college or anything? Or did you skip every few grades in grade-school and already graduate from college by 18.5?
0

#6 User is offline   megaboy2400 

  • Oldbie.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,054
  • Joined: 20-October 00

Posted 20 June 2001 - 03:07 AM

Quote:
I intend to finish all three chapters of Bocco Chronicles.
[/quote]

Yup, and I'm going to help...=) I love those games!

0

#7 User is offline   Nanobot 

  • It's in your blood
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,623
  • Joined: 11-October 00
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chico, CA (USA)

Posted 20 June 2001 - 03:41 AM

Yeah, the morale of the MegaZeux community has really lowered. I don't know if there is any simple answer, besides just trying to make the best games you can and hope the community starts to flurish again. I'm working on some games that are looking promising, and I am sure that I will finish at least some of them (Matthias' Pupil included). And as for the "looking forward to the end" part, I know that's not true for me. I am definately looking forward to any new versions with improvements, but with that Robotics command lib missing and everything, that might not happen for quite a while (unless someone makes a version 3 by starting from scratch), and I am really hoping the community will regain its motivation and stuff.

I'm back, but only for a couple days. I just got access to a computer with the internet. I've gotten a lot of work done on my games, and none of my projects have been dropped yet. I've also started working working on a comedy called Just Not Right, and I've started to think about maybe working more on Billybob. Murder Mansion is definately going to be finished.

If you think I'm working on too many games, and I'll just end up dropping them all over stress, I assure you that's not the case. I get bored easily when I'm just working on one or a couple games, and having more games to shift between keeps my motivation up. After I get bored with the other ones, I continue the first ones, and then go back to the later ones again, etc. All of my projects are porgressing evenly.

I'll shut up now. ;)

0

#8 User is offline   Aeon17 

  • Riders of the Apocalypse Needed - Apply within
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 153
  • Joined: 21-October 00

Posted 20 June 2001 - 04:08 AM

Ack, but....Ryohei's right...and no, Rai, I'm not just sucking up cuz you OWNZ me....I'm serious, I have NO optimism myself...I think I haven't released a Megazeux game in....about a year now....I just lose interest...
0

#9 Guest_calen_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 20 June 2001 - 04:49 AM

I think that we should somehow advertise MZX to a younger audience like me (im 13 turning 14) to take over what the older people like Gemini have done and start almost a new MZX Community, not saying that anyone should leave, im just saying that we need more advertisement. I found out about MZX in a wierd way. about A year ago i was obsessed with Kirby. I was on ano unofficial (but really good) Kirby site. I stumbled across something that someone on that site made, it was Kirby ZZT. They explained what ZZT was and I was very interested. I then made games for ZZT. About two months later, I was at ZZT.org (or whatever) and I saw something called MZX. I was amazed because I was so used to ZZT. Now I can't really stand ZZt (even though it has some really cool games) because it is too slow and there isn't as much freedom to do anything. People kind of take MZX for granted (changeing subject somewhat). All people wan't is better graphics better this better that. YES, I know that is all great but compare MZX to ZZT, which is a better GCS? I think we all know the answer to that. Anyways, back to the point, there has got to be a way to advertise. I bet that lots of you people out there found MZX from ZZT. But how did you find ZZT? I bet that if you were looking for a reliable GCS you wouldn't find ZZT by just typing in GCS at a search engine. There you go, the answer to our problems is ADVERTISEMENT, and what Gemini said, and hopefully I win an award for extremely long post. If You read all of this, Thank you, if not, well then you can suck my d... never mind. Thank you for your time.

P.S
I am working on yet another game. Its really sweet. I'm not gonna tell ya much more because I might quite on it (Goin To B.C. All summer, no comp).
Bye now forsure)

P.S.S
Well, I guess its not THAT LONG of a post  

0

#10 User is offline   Ryohei 

  • I love my graphire2..... T_T
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 466
  • Joined: 31-March 01

Posted 20 June 2001 - 05:01 AM

Quote:
Quote: from Gemini on 6:41 am on June 19, 2001
It's not that, I just need to move on with my life :P

Besides, I'm probably one of the oldest people here. (18 1/2 years). So needless to say I've got lots of other stuff I need to be worrying about. You guys have school... in a few months I could be getting a job and in less than a year I may even be starting my own buisness if things turn out good. Not to mention the C++ and QBasic programming I do. MZX is just another piece of my Jenga tower that threatens to topple it. Needless to say the smaller the tower, the less likely it falls apart, right?

The other thing too is that MZX is limiting, and I've done almost all I've wanted to limit-wise. Now that I've got Windows programming ahead of me, among other things, I just want to move on.

And quite frankly, it's threads like THIS one which get people to leave in the first place because it depresses everyone :p You die now, Ryohei. *takes out a rocket launcher and blows his head off... only to watch it regrow and sprout little heads and turn into more of himself and chase Gemini all the way to the edge of the Earth only to push him off into oblivion never to be seen again by those he cared about who too wanted to anhiliate said champion of the universe who just fell into total darkness by the hand of Ryohei and his many heads propogated by this incredibly LONG run-on sentence that threatens to throw this entire thread off-topic!*

... *deep breath* ...

I love doing that ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
"Wonders how many people actually read his ENTIRE post about leaving... let alone this entire post :P"
[/quote]

Oops... Sorry. I should have mentioned that there are some exceptions.

0

#11 User is offline   Ryohei 

  • I love my graphire2..... T_T
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 466
  • Joined: 31-March 01

Posted 20 June 2001 - 05:03 AM

Quote:
Quote: from Aeon17 on 9:08 pm on June 19, 2001
Ack, but....Ryohei's right...and no, Rai, I'm not just sucking up cuz you OWNZ me....I'm serious, I have NO optimism myself...I think I haven't released a Megazeux game in....about a year now....I just lose interest...
[/quote]

It doesn't matter what you call me. You can call me by any alias I put in the member's page. Hee hee..

You should do something to get back your interest in MZX. Play some games with mzx. It'll do you good.

0

#12 User is offline   BanditAngel 

  • Member
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 07-May 01

Posted 20 June 2001 - 11:28 AM

Well, personally, I don't think of it as dying, I think of it as pretty much dead for now - Thats what happens to old games, they generally die. MegaZeux was great, and still is great, but the people who loved it are starting to move on, and it just doesn't appeal to the newer gamers who are so fond of their 3d shooter games, and their Gigahertz computers...

*sigh* Now I'm depressed.

I still remember the last game I played that I really liked, Bernard the Bard - After that, nothing has really compared. It's hard to find the good games, and once you've played them it's just hard not to move on. Not enough new stuff in quite awhile. (Correct me if I'm wrong here!)

Basically, I disappeared a year ago, only to find more closed and broken websites, and a single little strand of hope that I pray never dies. But otherwise, nothing had changed...


Are there any other games that people still hold and love? The only one I can think of is Star Control 2, which currently has a fan-based sequel being worked on devoutedly - Called "Timewarp" if anyone here cares :)

0

#13 User is offline   Gemini 

  • PixelShips Master
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 637
  • Joined: 21-November 00
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 20 June 2001 - 01:00 PM

You know, maybe its because Megazeux itself is currently lacking the leaders to step forwards and take charge over the community? Let's be honest, Joshdw1, Maverick, and the other moderators only have one job, to maintatin DigitalMZX and its message boards. They participate in the Megazeux community because they obviously have a passion for Megazeux. But they only say and control things -here-. They don't actually make programming changes to the MZX source code or make official games and patches and upgrades and such. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Most programs don't die out until a company that makes said program stops supporting them. It's been a good length of time since Greg left the MZX scene... perhaps someone needs to take over what he set out to accomplish?

Akwende I think is only slightly on the wrong track to do that. Akwende, if you're reading this you should probably gather a group of your friends together who have at least some interest in MZX and some C++ skill and you guys should form your own little programming group and dedicate it to Megazeux, then, being absolutely sure to nail bugs and make excelent improvements to the source that eveyone's been waiting for (like XMS and Windows support), release an official upgrade to 2.7/2.8.

Perhaps all the Megazeuxers need is someone to look up to while they code their work? Right now... their really isn't anybody MZXers can look up to... And with all the opinions of other people flying which-way and that, it's discouraging to make any progress on the source code because everyone criticizes you. Perhaps the ultimate death of MZX will come from the experts being booed off by the people who don't know what the experts are doing, and then no one being left to do the tough stuff.

0

#14 User is offline   Aeon17 

  • Riders of the Apocalypse Needed - Apply within
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 153
  • Joined: 21-October 00

Posted 20 June 2001 - 01:54 PM

Rai, I AM back into Megazeux...it's funny how one of your RL friends mentioning the name of an old project you lost due to corruption can spark your desire to create it again...but better....woo. Anywho, I should be at the next Odyssey meeting, with a bit of information on, and hopefully a demo of, Queerness - v2.0.
0

#15 User is offline   Nanobot 

  • It's in your blood
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,623
  • Joined: 11-October 00
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chico, CA (USA)

Posted 20 June 2001 - 08:13 PM

I think what Gemini said was right. We need a single person that is the figurehead of the MegaZeux community. Before, when you thought of "MegaZeux", you thought of Gregory Janson. Now, you think of little bits of various people, such as Josh and Mav, Akwende, MadBrain, and other of the more respected zeuxers. We need a "president," so to speak. We need a version 3 made by that person, and more versons and games.

Also, I think Calen makes a good point, too. I've been saying for a while that we need to get MegaZeux back to the common gamer's eye. I don't know how we could begin to do that, but having a "president" to represent to the commune will definately help to start.

0

#16 Guest_calen_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 20 June 2001 - 10:59 PM

Yes, I may have an idea. Us MZXers (or whatever we are called) probally have other sites and programs  that we use for stuff. Me for example, i'm into emulation. I could maybe e-mail a couple Emulation sites and ask them to put links to mzx sites. I would hafta think that gamers would enjoy making their own games (I do and im a big gamer, and yes I enjoy 3D shooters much with my 1.7 Ghz Comp). It took me so long to fing a reliable easy fun (kind of) GCS. I found it about 9 months ago. I would have loved to go to search engine and type game maker, or GCS and have MZX pop up, or be at an emulation site and seeing a link to MZX. Yes, that would have been much easier.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users